When I was a college freshman, I wrote a list. The list was 50 Things that I thought important to know about myself. Now, three years later, I’ve written a new list for the fun of seeing what has changed. The original list can be found here. Keep reading to find out if I like Velcro (#25).
- One of the biggest dreams of my life is to go on a hot air balloon ride.
- After having 4 different hairstyles over the past two years, I’ve come to the conclusion that I cannot live without being able to wear my hair in a ponytail.
- I love carrots and apples and I eat them like they’re going out of style. (Insert horse joke here.)
- I drink caffeine at night rather than in the morning.
- I am definitely a morning person.
- I love naps.
- I sleep like a champion and require three alarm clocks to wake up in the morning.
- I someday want to have a week-long summer camp for the children of my friends called the Aunt Hannah Adventure (AHA!) or Aunt Hannah Camp.
- I’ve wanted to work in museums since I was 15 years old.
- This summer I got to dress up like a pilgrim.
- I also got to sleep on the Mayflower II. No big deal.
- And I spent my working hours playing with books that were at least 200 years old. You shouldn’t feel intimidated by my super librarian skills.
13. I’ve always been last during roll call because my last name starts with a Z, until my high school graduation, when we received our diplomas in height order. (To this day, I have no idea why.)
14. Go Badgers.
15. I’m kind of obsessed with baby pandas.
16. I love writing letters. It’s my favorite way of keeping in touch with people far away…or even next door. A letter is always fun to receive.
17. My favorite book is Little Women. I also love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and The Giver. Also The Chosen. And The Namesake.
18. Yoga keeps me sane.
19. My favorite bands are The Decemberists, Mumford & Sons and The Swell Season.
20. My celebrity doppelganger, Carey Mulligan, is engaged to the lead singer of one of my favorite bands. Carey’s middle name is also my first name…ooooo spooky.
21. I have really vivid dreams and I almost always remember them.
22. I cannot live without my hairdryer.
23. I really love doing dishes.
24. I’m allergic to cats and liquid hand soap.
25. I also hate Velcro.
26. I’m the only person in my immediate family who is left-handed.
- 27. I’m a total klutz. I regularly walk into walls. I also have two scars on my knees from a plasma car accident in the middle of the night.
28. My favorite TV show is “How I Met Your Mother” and “The West Wing”.
29. My guilty pleasure TV show is “Grey’s Anatomy.” Also “Friends.”
30. I don’t like fruit-flavored candy. In fact, I really only like dark chocolate.
31. I’d love to learn sign language.
32. My car Nelly the Dream Wagon and I collect bumper stickers.
33. My favorite movie is “Stranger Than Fiction.”
34. I don’t go anywhere without sunglasses. I sometimes even wear them in the rain.
35. I love my home state of Kentucky.
36. Despite this, I’ll probably end up living on the East Coast within the next five years.
37. I love magazines. A lot. But they help me decorate my dorm, so I’m cool with this.
38. I own a Sarah Palin bobble head. (Long story.) I also have small collection of My Little Pony figures. (Longer story.)
39. Mermaids freak me out.
40. If I could have dinner with three people, living, dead or fictional, they would be Tina Fey, Peter Pan and Dolly Parton.
41. I know every word to “Hairspray”. I don’t know how this happened. I also know every line in “Finding Nemo”, but I know that this happened from repeated viewings of this movie.
42. My heroes are Abigail Adams, Nellie Bly and King George VI.
43. I love reading non-fiction. True life is so much better than fake life.
44. The Dewey Decimal System is one of my favorite things in the world.
45. I am hopelessly directionally challenged.
46. My favorite quotation is by Mary Oliver: “I believe in kindness. Also in mischief. Also in singing, especially when singing is not necessarily prescribed.”
47. If I were an animated character, I’d be Dory from “Finding Nemo” or the Toaster from “The Brave Little Toaster”.
48. I really want to go to Sweden.
49. My celebrity crushes are Gene Wilder, Michael J. Fox and Andrew Garfield.
50. I love chocolate chip cookies and vanilla pudding.
“It isn’t the great big pleasures that count the most; it’s making a great deal out of the little ones.” –Jean Webster