I went up to Milwaukee for 2 days to find an apartment. This is what happened.
THINGS I DID IN MILWAUKEE
- Saw Indiana windmills and thought I was in District 5.
- Ate at Qdoba twice
- Almost got a parking ticket
- Looked at seven apartments—two were scary, three were decent, one was close, one was perfect.
- Drove past the MLB stadium like it was totally normal
- Fed cheese to a stray cat on campus
- Avoided sprinklers
- Saw someone wearing a shirt from my college
- Met with my program advisor
- Offered my services to the Office of Campus Ministry
- Managed to get my left side mirror to fall off
- Duct-taped my left side mirror to my car
- Walked until my feet turned black
- Made a pilgrimage to my favorite high school teacher’s old apartment
- Rescued two sodas from a vending machine
- Finished two books in between apartment showings
- Got lost—a lot.
- Laughed at seagulls
- Read the July issue of In Style.
- Found a giant, beautiful independent bookstore
- Fell in love with the city
THINGS I DID AND PROBABLY SHOULDN’T HAVE
- Went to Target
- Kept my parking pass
THINGS I THOUGHT ABOUT DOING BUT DID NOT DO
I thought about…
- Curling up for a nap in a bookstore
- Stealing the couch from said bookstore
- Knocking on someone’s door in a big house on the lake front and asking if A) They had a guest house or B) They were planning on going on a two year sabbatical to Guam and if I could housesit for them
- Robbing a Dr. Pepper truck
- Re-enacting any scene from “Bridesmaids” that mentions Milwaukee
THINGS I DID NOT DO
I did not…
- Eat cheese
- Drink beer
All in all, a random, if successful trip. Now I just have to cross my fingers and count the days until I return. But first, I’m going to go watch “Bridesmaids”. Again.