- The US Swim Team—Katie Ledecky, Missy Franklin, Rebecca Soni, Dana Vollmer, Matt Grevers, Nathan Adrian, Cullen Jones, Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps et al.
I’m not a huge fan of this song, but this is just too adorable to pass up.
- The Abs of the US Men’s Swim Team. Thanks to the Fug Girls for their commitment to journalism and bringing pictures of these abs to the world.
- Royals of various nations cheering on their athletes, but especially the fairy godmother and wizard godfathers of Team Great Britain, Duchess Kate, Prince William and Prince Harry
- Mo Farah winning the Men’s 10,000M. YOU GUYS. It. Was. Awesome.
- The commentary provided by NBC—especially Dan Hicks and Rowdy Gaines. I imagine that they are super fun to hang out with and that they grade themselves and each other on everything they do.
- Bob Costas and Mary Carillo. I can’t even describe my glee at their banter.
- Listening to my dad explain why the diving judges are all afraid of the Chinese—apparently it’s a conspiracy involving hypnotism and an unwillingness to move to Singapore.
- Getting really invested in sports I don’t usually pay attention to. Like water polo. And judo.
- Turning on my TV in the middle of the afternoon and watching the US Water Polo Team play former Soviet nations. Or getting really emotionally invested in dressage. Or table tennis. Granted, I still haven’t topped the time I spent five hours watching curling during the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, but there’s really no summer equivalent to Physics Sweeping on Ice.
- I never get tired of the overhead shots of the London Eye. Seriously, when I visit London, the first thing I’m doing is visiting this sucker.
- The NBC theme song for the Olympics: BUM BUM BUM DUM DUM DUM DUM BUM BUM BUM BUM PA DA DUM BUM DUM DUM DA DA DUM DUM DUM!!!! Did you know it actually has a name?
- NBC Commercials for Fall sitcoms with Olympic tie-ins. This one is especially brilliant.
- P&G Commercials. If you don’t cry at these, you are a CYBORG.
- Tom Hammond’s cheerful track and field commentary. This man is a treasure.
- Listening to my mom speculate about how the vault table for the Women’s Vault Finals in artistic gymnastics is cursed. Or prejudiced against athletes from nations which were not part of the Soviet bloc.
- Reading the daily commentary of Michelle Collins on Vanity Fair Online. She says what we’re all thinking.
- How a 0.0 in Diving means completely failed. This amuses my father and I so much (because we are mean people) that we have started using it in daily conversation. Like, “I really zeroed out when I forgot to get milk at the store.”
- Olympic Parents. Especially Debbie Phelps and the Raisman parents. And just generally parents, because watching the Olympics with my own non-Olympic parents makes my whole life better.
- London. Only city to host the modern Olympics three times, and they’re still pretty jazzed about it. Hats off to you, Londonians. HUZZAH FOR YOU!
*Apologies to Kelly Clarkson