Today is Thanksgiving. I love this holiday for a number of reasons—it makes my nemesis November a little better, I get to see my family, there are mashed potatoes—but mostly because it reminds me of all the things in my life for which I am infinitely grateful. I’ll spend a good deal of my Thanksgiving break this year working on final papers, but at least I get to do it from my childhood kitchen table with my family wandering in and out. I also called the Butterball hotline today, which was the best thing ever. Thanksgiving also makes me think of this clip from one of my favorite Woody Allen films, “Manhattan”.
I’ve written about this before, but I love thinking about Woody’s question: What makes life worth living? So, to celebrate my gratitude to the universe this year, here are a few things that make my life worth living. My family and friends top the list, and then there are a few other things that make life a little brighter.
Things That Make Hannah’s Life Worth Living, 2012
- The song “America the Beautiful”
- An all-boys treble choir singing “Little Drummer Boy”
- The work of George and Ira Gershwin
- Waking up from a nap on the couch feeling completely content and rested.
- Thanksgiving episodes of my favorite tv shows—“Friends”, “The West Wing”, “How I Met Your Mother” and “Gilmore Girls” to name a few.
- The last chapter of Little Women
- Baking cookies and watching people smile as they enjoy them
- Queen Elizabeth’s charming hats
- Exploring museums
- Long phone calls or Skype chats with faraway friends
- Chapters 1-16 of Peter Pan. (Not 17. Never 17.)
- Socks with Disney characters on them
- Fred Astaire
- Watching babies grow up into people
- Getting a question right in class
- Buying and wrapping presents
- Long road trips, alone or with friends, with long conversations and lots of singing (this happens whether or not I’m alone)
- Watching the Olympics with my parents
- Waking up to the sounds of my brother rapping in the next room
- When Indy lets me cuddle with him for more than two minutes
- Really cheesy movies that are so bad they’re good
- Cleaning closets
- Vanilla pudding, juiceboxes, turkey tetrazzini, and tacos.
- Walking outside when the air feels and smells really clean and fresh
- Letters to and from friends
- New magazines
- The American Girl catalog
I’m grateful for all of these things and so much more. Happy Thanksgiving!
P.S. What makes YOUR life worth living?